Wed. Apr 14th, 2021


NASHVILLE, TENNEY. (AP) – Federal agents on Saturday raided the home of a prospect interested in the explosion that devastated Nashville, as investigators denied hundreds of tips and led the explosion to In the morning, the city’s bridge was blocked and dozens of damaged buildings.

More than 24 hours after the explosion, one motive remained elusive, as investigators worked round the clock to resolve unanswered questions about the mysterious explosion, which took place on a mostly deserted road on a sleepless morning and one Recorded was advising warning. To evacuate people around.

Nevertheless, there were signs of progress in the investigation, as the FBI revealed that she was looking at several individuals who may have been involved in the investigation. Officials also said that no additional explosive devices have been found – there is no active threat to the area. Investigators have found about 500 tips and leads.

“We’re just going to take a while,” said Douglas Kournsky, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Memphis field office, at a Saturday afternoon news conference. “Our search team is turning every stone” to understand who did it and why.

FBI Special Agent Jason Pack said that at the same time, investigators from several federal and local law enforcement agencies were at a home in Antioch, suburban Nashville, who obtained information related to the investigation. Another law enforcement officer, who was not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation and spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said investigators consider the person associated with the property to be a person of interest.

Federal agents can be seen searching around the property, home and backyard. A Google Maps image showed a similar amusing car parked in the backyard when it was photographed in May 2019; An AP reporter at the scene did not see the vehicle on the property on Saturday afternoon.

Separately, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a report on Saturday that tissue samples found at the scene were determined to contain human remains. Authorities said they were working strictly to identify who the remains belonged to.

But questions arose about the mysterious circumstances of the explosion, which officials said injured three people after a bomb exploded inside a recreational vehicle. If the goal was to harm an untold number of civilians, then why did the explosive go so far in the morning before the streets boiled over with activity and pre-recorded warnings from the RV that a bomb would explode in 15 minutes? And if the goal was not human destruction, then what was that?

Communications systems continued to be attacked across the state. Police Emergency System Tennessee, Kentucky And Alabama, As well as Nashville’s COVID-19 Community Hotline and a handful of hospital systems, remained out of service at the central office of AT&T being affected by the explosion.

The building had a telephone exchange, which had networked equipment – but the company declined to say how many people had been affected.

Asked if the AT&T building could be a potential target, Kornsky said, “We are looking at every possible motive that could be involved.”

Investigators cordoned off the heart of Nashville’s tourist site – Hon-Tonk, an area full of restaurants and shops – as they shuffled through broken glass and damaged buildings to learn more about the explosion.

Mayor John Cooper has imposed a curfew in the city area until Sunday through an executive order to limit public access to the area. More than 40 buildings were affected.

AT&T said restoration efforts are facing several challenges, including a fire that “reigns overnight and prompts the building to be evacuated.” It has forced its teams to work with security and structural engineers and has provided access holes to the building to re-connect electricity.

The company said in a Saturday statement, “Our team is constantly working on efforts to recover from the blast that occurred in Nashville yesterday morning.” “We have two portable cell sites operating in the city of Nashville and several additional portable sites deployed in the Nashville area and area.”

Ray Neville, president of technology at T-Mobile, said on Twitter that service disruptions affected Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham and Atlanta. “We continue to see service disruptions in these areas after yesterday’s explosion. Twenty-four-hour restoration efforts are on and we will keep you updated on the progress, ”he said in a tweet on Saturday.

Flights to the airport were also limited for some time at Nashville International Airport, but service continued as usual on Saturday. The Federal Aviation Association has since issued a temporary flight ban around the airport, requiring pilots to follow strict procedures by 30 December.

According to Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake, police officers responded to a report of a shootout on Friday when they saw R.V. Facing a recorded warning, a bomb explosion would occur in 15 minutes. Police evacuated nearby buildings and called in the bomb squad. The RV exploded shortly after.

Associated Press writer John Raby from Charleston in Westland contributed to this report Virginia.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This content may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *