Fri. Feb 26th, 2021

Yangon, Myanmar (AP) – Police in Myanmar have made a fresh charge against deposed leader Aung San Suu Kyi, his lawyer said on Tuesday, who may allow him to be held indefinitely without trial.

Lawyer Khin Maung Zaw told reporters after a meeting with a judge in the capital, Napitaw, that Su Chi has been accused of violating Article 25 of the Natural Disaster Management Law, used to prosecute people who broke the coronovirus ban Has been done.

Suu Kyi, who was fired in a military coup on February 1, is already accused of having a walkie-talkie, which was imported without being registered.

The maximum sentence for a violation of COVID-19 is a three-year sentence. However, the new charge could allow him to be held indefinitely without a trial because a change in the penitentiary code established by the junta last week allows detention without the court’s permission.

This is the latest news. An earlier story of AP is given below.

Yangon, Myanmar (AP) – Peaceful demonstrations against Myanmar’s military takeover resumed on Tuesday, a day after violence against protesters by security forces and for the second straight night that internet access was discontinued.

Groups of protesters hurried to Yangon and other cities to protest the February 1 coup and demanded that the country’s elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and members of his deposed government be released from custody.

In Yangon, police blocked the road in front of the Central Bank, with protesters targeting online amid speculation that the army was demanding the confiscation of money from them.

Buddhist monks performed outside the local office of the United Nations.

Protests are taking place against the order to ban the assembly of five or more people.

About 3,000 protesters – mainly students – returned to the streets in Mandalay, the country’s second largest city, carrying posters of Suu Kyi and shouting for a return to democracy.

There was little security presence around the city, mostly in the city’s police buildings such as branches of state banks.

On Monday in Mandalay, soldiers and police violently broke down a crowd of over 1,000 protesters in front of the Myanmar Economic Bank. They attacked the protesters with slingshot and sticks, and the police could be seen aiming for long bullets during the air fire, which fired. Local media reported that rubber bullets were fired into the crowd and some people were injured.

No reason has been announced by the government ordering Sunday and Monday night to block internet access. It imposed selective and ineffective blocks on social media platforms over the past few weeks and drafted a draft Internet law that would criminalize many online activities.

There is also widespread speculation that the government is installing a firewall system that can monitor or block most or all online activity.

The state media was accepting the protest movement with indirect references. The Global New Light of the Myanmar newspaper referred to the meeting of the new top governing body, the Council of State Governments, and quoted its chief, Senior General Min Aung Hlang, as saying that the authorities were “handling the ongoing problems with care.”

It said that the council discussed taking legal action against the protesters, providing “true information” to the media and resuming public transport, making a clear reference to the strike and recession by truck drivers and state railway employees.

The newspaper also said that council members discussed working against a “parallel government” set up by a few elected MPs from Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy Party, whom the parliament called to prevent its opening of its session Feb. 1 Was stopped from taking a seat.

There are 15 members representing the Swayambhu Samiti Pyidungsu Hlutav, who met online and said they had enough support to call Parliament. It claims to be the only legitimate government institution and has appealed for recognition to foreign powers and the United Nations and other multilateral institutions with no positive response. Committee members believe warrants have been issued for his arrest.

Soo Chi is under house arrest on a minor charge of possessing unregistered imported walkie-talkies. She is likely to appear in court on Wednesday through videoconferencing, according to which lawyer Khoo Mong Zaw, appearing for Suu Kyi’s party, asked her to represent him.

Last year’s election was a military competition fraud, won by Suu Kyi’s party in a landslide, and says it would hold power for a year before the new elections. The State Election Commission found no evidence to support the claims of fraud.

The military maintains that its acquisition is valid under the 2008 constitution that was drafted under military rule and ensures that the military retains ultimate control over the country. The United Nations, the United States and other governments have urged the elected government to return to power and release Suu Kyi and other detainees.

Copyright 2021 associated Press. All rights reserved. This content may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *